[opendtv] Doug Lung Mobile DTV Viewer Update

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 20:01:18 -0500

Doesn't seem to tell us how robust the reception is. He encountered some
firewall issues. I'm not sure I understand how all the extra training available
with M/H is being put to use, if a standard ATSC demod is used.

Bert

---------------------------------
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/106228

Mobile DTV Viewer Update
by Doug Lung, 09.09.2010.

Decontis has made multiple updates to their Mobile DTV Viewer software that
allows reception of ATSC mobile DTV signals on a conventional USB ATSC tuner.

I had a chance to test Version 1.5 of the software dated Sept. 7 in Los Angeles
on both Wednesday night and Thursday morning. It identified and-after some
additional effort-displayed Mobile DTV signals being broadcast on KMEX,
Univision's Los Angeles station.

While it had no difficulty locking onto the Mobile DTV signal and displaying
the channel name, I found that the Windows Firewall caused some problems when
displaying the signal in the monitor window. Turning off Windows Firewall and
rebooting allowed display. I had verified that KMEX was sending a valid ATSC
mobile DTV stream using my prototype DTV Interactive "Storm" USB receiver and
Storm Player. The Decontis Mobile DTV Viewer will display the conventional ATSC
signal with Windows Firewall on. Manually opening the appropriate ports on
Windows Firewall should allow the mobile DTV display to work, but I didn't have
time to confirm that before this week's deadline.

In case you're wondering whether the software works with other tuners, I
verified it does work with the DVICO FusionHDTV7 USB tuner, which uses the same
tuner and demodulator chip as the recommended Hauppauge HVR-950Q, and with my
PCTV HD Stick Pro (Model 801e), which uses a different demodulator.

I'll be testing ATSC mobile DTV in at least two other markets and evaluating a
demo version of the Decontis ATSCsam software for detailed mobile DTV signal
analysis over the next two weeks. Look for updates in RF Report.