[opendtv] Re: Does Your AppleTV have a virus?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:32:49 -0400

At 11:32 AM -0700 7/12/08, John Willkie wrote:
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-10789_3-9987604-57.html?hhTest=1&tag=nefd.top>http://news.cnet.com/8301-10789_3-9987604-57.html?hhTest=1&tag=nefd.top

No, that never happens with Apples, let alone AppleTVs!

Buffer overflow? Isn't that violating safe computing 101? No, more like a "bonehead computing" violation. Oh, that's right, Apples are never vulnerable to exploits.

John Willkie

Everything is vulnerable to exploits. Some are just easier than others.

Microsoft is the big target here for three reasons:

1. A higher chance of reeking havoc given the larger installed base;

2. It is the easiest OS to exploit due to years of building onto the Redmond version of the Winchester Mystery House.

3. So many people hate Microsoft.

Personally, I kinda like the fact that Apple is very proactive about fixing potential vulnerabilities before they are exploited...

P.S. In 24 years of using Macs I have had one virus - it was an exploit of Microsoft Word macros...