[opendtv] Re: Does Netflix/Comcast Deal Remove Obstacle To TWC Merger? - Forbes

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 19:37:14 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Cellular is also an oligopoly, and damn expensive at that.

Its advantage is the same advantage as OTA TV. Being wireless, multiple
companies can credibly compete in any location.

> If you want exclusive content via the Internet you can buy it Bert,
> but you'll need to pay the going price of a MVPD subscription.

If you want exclusive MVPD content, you can also buy it using STANDARD
equipment that you own, at any number of OTT sites that the congloms already do
business with, or soon will.

> But some of their most exclusive stuff is only available via
> a MVPD subscription. You can buy it from your local cable company,
> a DBS service, and in a few markets via a telco or Google.

And more options to come. It also helps if you can say no, Craig. That's what
convinces the congloms that they need to accelerate their use of more options.

People such as you, who happily remain tethered to old-school MVPD walled
gardens, can at best cause a delaying action.

> Comcast and Cox Cable offer all of these streams to subscribers
> over the neutral Internet...>
>
> For a price.

As do Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus, and undoubtedly many more in the future.
Again, old school MVPD-dependents, such as yourself, are at best causing a
delay of the inevitable.

> And if you want to watch their exclusive content via the standards
> based ISP portion of their ISP networks you can...
>
> But you still need a subscription.

From any of a growing number of portals. Which portals may adopt any of a
choice of business models. As opposed to being slave to only one content holder.

I can't fathom what you don't get about this, Craig. Don't you understand the
difference between being the loyal subject of a single holder of TV content, as
you have been, and being able to shop around for that same content?