[opendtv] Re: Does Apple's Tim Cook Want an Apple Television?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 13:35:05 -0500

Note how they showed a 1950s or perhaps 1960s TV in the article, to try to force a point that is no longer valid.

So what is valid?

That old TV could get 4-5 channels owned by the broadcast television networks; in major markets you might get 8-10 channels, as I did watching a TV much like the one in the article as a kid growing up on Long Island. The remote was still to be invented; the "GUI" was Get Up and turn the Indent tuner from 2 - 13. The EPG - was typically a TV insert in the Saturday or Sunday paper with a time and channel grid for each day.

And we all sat together as families, as about 60-70% of U.S. homes watched Prime Time TV every night.

Today you'll see a large flat panel with a cable or DBS box and a remote that can tune several hundred channels owned by the conglomerates, who still own the same five broadcast networks. Appended to this TV are a variety of boxes that provide access to the content owned by these conglomerates. And yes, there are a tiny fraction of viewers who use PCs and other "Smart TV" accessories that offer lot's of legacy content, if you can find it using horribly crude search tools.

Reminicent of the 1975 movie: The Land That Time Forgot...

And the biggest change in 50 years?

Most of us pay more than $50/mo for this TV fix - only 20% watch the episodic programs of the five broadcast networks.

When I go into the living room, instead, I see a very large and bright PC monitor, which also happens to house an internal ATSC receiver. And much of the time, "all these complicated remote controls" mentioned in the article amount to a wireless remote mouse, sitting on the couch next to me.

Mouse on the Couch...catchy!

Voice activated commands? I doubt that's a feature that would make me rush out of the house to buy one. But if you can make a PC accept voice commands, what's the big hoopla? Obviously a TV can do likewise.

Sorry Bert, but only a tiny fraction of homes dedicate a PC to the big screen in the family room, and that number is in decline. Truth is nobody has come up with a solution that is turning heads and causing people to buy...and watch. Big screen TVs have become low margin commodities, just like that 1950's TV in the NYT article.

As for voice activation...

My wife just turned 62. She is not technology adverse - let's just say its a good thing "I'm" the IT department. She's been using an old iPhone 3G for nearly 3 years - we have an AT&T family plan and she wanted to switch carriers when all of our contracts were fulfilled. Turned out that Verizon wanted even more blood each month, and we would all have needed new phones. So yesterday she committed to two more years of marginal service from those AT&T bastards and got an iPhone 5 for herself and our son.

Got home, and synced up her old phone - now a serviceable iPod Touch - I doubt she had backed it up in the past year. Then we synced up the iPhone 5 and she was in business...almost. Before she could use the new phone we had to go through some set-up questions, mostly related to using iCloud - the phone is now automatically backed up daily to the cloud when connected to a WiFi router.

I went to the brewery to meet our new Congressman, and when I returned, she was all excited. She had already learned how to use Siri to dictate text messages.

What was it that Tim Cook said near the end of the Interview?

"Our whole role in life is to give you something you didn't know you wanted. And then once you get it, you can't imagine your life without it."

Just more Apple hype. Unnecessary hype. Just whoever is bribing the CE companies to put out dumb*ss crippled "connected TV" products, cease and desist. The "C" in CE means us, consumers, not the MVPD special interests.

I'm with you on the products that are in the market today.

Somebody is going to figure it out.

The good news is that the congloms have driven up the cost of entertainment to a level where real competition may finally be able to help close this 20th century chapter in the history of manipulating the masses...

Now please read this:

Tim Cook Again Expresses Intense Interest In TV Market, But Mutes The Real Issues

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2012/12/07/tim-cook-again-expresses-intense-interest-in-tv-market-but-mutes-the-real-issues/