[opendtv] Re: Does Apple's Tim Cook Want an Apple Television?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:40:33 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Not at all. It is going directly to the source when you know the
>> source, and using the search engine when you want to discover.
>
> Exactly as I said. If you know the source it is not discovery...
> just search.

Are you deliberately being aggravating? I said that it's easy to do BOTH. Get
it? Discovery when you're browsing, or go to the source when you know the
source. I said Apple does not need to solve this non-problem. I said the trade
press and clueless public are behaving like pathetic cult groupies, looking for
their guru to lead the way, so they can follow along like braindead lemmings.
(There, is that clear enough?)

> Just keep in mind, that only a tiny fraction of TVs have ANY kind
> of search capability.

Circular argument. Does your tablet have a search engines? Your smartphone?
Your PC? Then there's NO EXCUSE for TVs not to have them too. The CE companies
are on the take, pure and simple. Because you know what? I can't believe they
are as incompetent as they seem.

> Google TV went nowhere, first and foremost,  because the
> technology sucked.

Perhaps, but there's no denying that the very first thing they encountered was
blocked content from congloms. Nothing like that to demonstrate how their
solution sucked, eh? And similarly, the best Steve Jobs could do was to brag
about how AppleTV could get content that's also available FOTA (I remember the
show "House" being proudly used as an example). While all the media types were
gushing up this wonderful new "invention." There is a common thread there. And
it ain't that the technology sucked.

>> That second point has nothing to do with the technology. It simply
>> disagrees with your confused complaints. I can get SOME content
>> FOTI that previously was only available via MVPDs. QED.
>
> Yup. when most of the value has been wrung out of it.

You misunderstand. It's not old content. It is new cable-only content, that
some OTT sites now offer FOTI. This shows that your complaint about congloms is
only a complaint that might make sense to those addicted to their MVPD, as you
are.

Of course the congloms keep upping the ante. That's Economics 101. The addicts
keep paying, the seller keeps raising rates. The first step in the process is,
get the MVPD addicts to use alternative distribution pipes. Or put up and shut
up.