[opendtv] Re: Does Apple's Tim Cook Want an Apple Television?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:15:51 -0500

Why, Craig? Didn't you tell us forever that 480p is plenty? I would think 480p in any ole HDTV would provide all of the oversampling you could possibly want. ;)

No, I never said 480P was plenty, or the ultimate goal. All I ever said is that it is adequate on screens up to about 40 inch diagonal. I would also add that the vast majority of OTT TV is 480P or less.

I will admit to a fundamental shift in opinion about display resolution, although this shift has almost NOTHING to do with TV. The cause of this shift was the introduction of the Retina display on the iPhone 4. This did little to improve the quality of video on the iPhone, but was a huge improvement for apps that ARE NOT Nyquist limited, such as e-mail and web browsing, and for apps that are heavily over-sampled like digital photos.

A good analogy is that increasing the sample density for these apps is similar to the benefit you get from a 300 DPI laser printer versus a dot matrix printer. It's all about contrast, which is the biggest problem with video, because of Nyquist filtering.

And then there is the reality that HDTV and 4K require much larger pipes to deliver the sample quality that is expected at a given level of display resolution.

If Apple does introduce a TV size display for the family room, the most important reason to increase resolution would be to support Apps OTHER THAN TV, which would benefit from the increased sample density.

You can confirm this for yourself by running your search engine on the TV connected to your TV.
It will appear a bit soft and the text will have poor contrast.