[opendtv] Re: Does Apple's Tim Cook Want an Apple Television?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 15:08:55 -0600

Monty Solomon posted:

------------------
By NICK BILTON
DECEMBER 6, 2012

Apple customers have been yearning for it for years. And now, it seems, the
chief executive of Apple, Timothy D. Cook, wants one too: an Apple-made
television.

In an interview to be broadcast Thursday on "Rock Center With Brian Williams"
on NBC, Mr. Cook slid a tiny hint across the table that such a product could
exist someday.

"When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have gone
backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," Mr. Cook told Mr. Williams. "It's an area
of intense interest. I can't say more than that."

In an interview last year, Walter Isaacson, Mr. Jobs's biographer, said the
former chief executive had discussed his goals to reinvent television. "He did
talk about the television. He told me he'd 'licked it' and once said, 'There's
no reason you should have all these complicated remote controls,'"

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/does-apples-tim-cook-want-an-apple-television/
-------------------

Note how they showed a 1950s or perhaps 1960s TV in the article, to try to
force a point that is no longer valid.

When I go into the living room, instead, I see a very large and bright PC
monitor, which also happens to house an internal ATSC receiver. And much of the
time, "all these complicated remote controls" mentioned in the article amount
to a wireless remote mouse, sitting on the couch next to me.

Voice activated commands? I doubt that's a feature that would make me rush out
of the house to buy one. But if you can make a PC accept voice commands, what's
the big hoopla? Obviously a TV can do likewise.

Just more Apple hype. Unnecessary hype. Just whoever is bribing the CE
companies to put out dumb*ss crippled "connected TV" products, cease and
desist. The "C" in CE means us, consumers, not the MVPD special interests.