[opendtv] Re: Dish offer for Sprint

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:37:28 -0400

On Apr 17, 2013, at 3:55 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not sure what you're responding to. The article was about DBS broadcast to
> homes, and Dish making deals with Sprint for Internet distribution. What I
> responded with was that the DBS broadcast portion of that model was
> essentially becoming unnecessary, because it competes with cabled or wireless
> broadband that is becoming capable of offering even more choice.

Sorry Bert, but this is simply wrong on several points.

1. Dish is trying to BUY Sprint/Nextel so they can compete on a more level
playing field with AT&T and Verizon, who are bundling services and/or offering
their own MVPD services.

To argue that DBS is becoming unnecessary is to say that ALL MVPDs are becoming
unnecessary. This is simply not true. Most U.S. homes get their home TV
subscriptions from a DBS or cable company. Even the cable companies would need
to spend billions on another infrastructure upgrade to deliver TV via broadband
to multiple TVs in every home.

>> If # 3 happens, the only viable path for existing broadcasters
>> will be to move to LTE broadcast
>
> Even that doesn't make a lot of sense. The content owners, whoever they are
> (they could actually be also local broadcasters of today), can more easily
> put their content on any of the wired and wireless ISP networks.
>
> We've been through all of this already. The more these ISP networks increase
> in speed, the less of an impact the additional TV content makes. Perhaps the
> role of the local broadcaster will be run the mirrored servers that make
> their content available on the various ISP networks.
>
> But either way, the satellite MVPD was what the article was addressing, not
> the local broadcasters.

I was analyzing what could happen if the networks pull their content from local
broadcasters and go direct with the MVPDs. DTV Broadcasting to mobile devices
has gone NOWHERE, because the people making the phones have no reason to
include TV tuners. If the networks abandon local broadcasting the ONLY chance
local broadcasters would have to reach their viewers anywhere, anytime, would
be to piggyback on a standard that IS supported by mobile second screens.

IF they create yet another "proprietary" transmission standard, and they don't
have the high value network content, they won't have a chance to survive.