[opendtv] Re: Digital radios outstrip analogue

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:01:28 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> At 1:26 PM -0500 3/2/05, Bob Miller wrote:
>
>>What is the history of the 30 ft mast test? I have thought it was a
>>standard FCC test during analog years.
>

> Correct. And thus, since this services was to replicate NTSC service,
> this was assumed by all to be the proper test.

And I personally consider the ongoing refusal to question this criteria
as the single biggest hindrance to a digital transition.  Requiring this
sort of antenna is simply not a competitive choice for a very large
percentage of the possible consumer audience.  Whatever the historical
reasons, it was a DUMB decision and more attention should be directed to
  it.

- Tom