[opendtv] Digital radio also unavailable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:06:32 -0500

Looking for something to put on my letter to Santa this
year, I discovered that digital radio, called HD Radio in
the US, and using the weird standard created by Ibiquity
(which may maintain the analog spectrum while sending
digital info as low-power COFDM in the guard bands only),
is even more unavailable than ATSC STBs or recording
devices.

The very few offerings are way overpriced, as far as I can
tell. Or they are Ibiquity adapters only meant for certain
receivers. Supposedly, next year will be the big year for
HD Radio. I'll believe it when I see it.

In case you're interested, http://www.ibiquity.com/

The current issue of The Perfect Vision talks about the
CEDIA show. It mentions all the excitement (hype) over
such things as satellite radio. Looks like press hype, and
CE industry product, crave only those schemes which force
the consumer to become an infinite revenue stream for some
service provider.

You aren't a successful business if you can't convince
people to commit to more of those endless monthly bills.