[opendtv] Re: Digital living room duel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:09:44 -0500

At 10:43 AM -0500 11/13/06, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > frames per second. Maybe 640 x 480...

They are claiming 480 Mb/s for HDMI over UWB, for now. I don't know that
this can't be doubled or tripled before the 60 GHz standard bears fruit,
but we'll see. UWB should be able to carry several Gb/s of payload,
ultimately. That's why I was wondering what this new 60 GHz spec was
going after that was any different.

The answer, I do believe, is that they are after new IP and that they
need something to circumvent regulatory obstacles in certain countries.

Here is the article that talks about UWB.

Sounds like another unnecessary pissing match to me. I was not aware that a 500 Mbps UWB proposal was on the table. But even with this they STILL cannot do HDTV.

I'm putting my money on using the wireless networks to move compressed bits around. There's much more at play here than delivering uncompressed streams. The boxes with the decoders and user interface are where this battle will be fought and won.