[opendtv] Re: Digital TV.net: Streaming overtakes live viewing in the US

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 22:56:17 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

So I tried to find out more about the methodology for the Delloitt
survey. I found this slide from the report, which seems to back up
what Bert is saying, albeit for only one of the demographics the
report covers:

http://www.medijskapismenost.net/download/Mladi_gledaju_TV_program_na_drugim_ureajima.pdf

Note the ambiguity there, however. The question asks how many hours per week
the responder spends, watching TV shows on each type of device. Obviously, if
they use devices that ONLY receive Internet TV, the answer to "use of linear
streams" is simple. But watching on a "TV set" does not automatically mean they
are watching linear streams. Not even close.

How would I answer that, Craig? How would users of Roku answer it? How would a
user of a "connected TV" answer it? How would someone recorded shows on a TV
answer it? You should have wondered that without being told to, Craig. I watch
most TV content on my TV. We've discussed these ambiguities many times already.

Read again, carefully this time. It says clearly:

"Streaming content has overtaken live programming as 'the viewing
method-of-choice' among Americans, according to Deloitte's latest 'Digital
Democracy Survey'."

This is unambiguous,

And it is clearly WRONG.

No, Craig. You are simply not being rigorous enough to understand what's going
on. You glommed onto the wrong question from the Deloitte survey.

It says that 53% of TV today is viewed online, and 56% of movies.
"56% of US consumers now stream movies and 53% stream TV,
compared to 45% who prefer to watch TV programs live."

Pretty clear. It is explaining to you, Craig, that live viewing
only accounts for 45%. That last phrase, "compared to ... ,"
made it clear what they mean.

All of these data points are for the Trailing Millennial group
Bert.

Not true, Craig. They separated the millennials from the overall population.
And what's more, your other survey, the one that shows 41% watching online for
the UK, is not that far off. I have no trouble believing that in the US, a few
more people, percentagewise, watch online TV than in the UK. More people in the
US also used MVPDs, in the past, than in the UK. There's no reason to expect
our two online viewing stats to be identical. Hardly likely.

You are so desperate to prove something that you grasp at the
longest straw...

Craig, you are simply following your old habits. You argue for political
motives, even if it means inventing facts, so you end up being invariably
wrong. This happens all the time. Why should it be different for this? Do we
need to go through how many times, and on how many different topics, this has
happened? Try the truth, not a political agenda, please.