[opendtv] Re: Digital TV Finds It Hard to be Free

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:21:32 -0400

DISMO wrote:

> Traditional AM/FM has nowhere to go but downhill,
> especially given the listening public's distaste
> for screaming commercials, obnoxious announcers,
> and narrow playlists.

Perhaps. Or perhaps there will be two things that
keep this equation more balanced:

1. Some sort of digital radio, maybe IBOC, to
revive AM/FM radio.

2. Satellite radio, just like subscription TV,
will have to increase revenues over time. They
may do so by just adding subscribers at first,
then by increasing monthly fees, then by
introducing ads. Sound familiar?

We'll see if sattelite radio achieves 85 percent
of radio audience. I'd be amazed, frankly.