[opendtv] Re: Digital TV Finds It Hard to be Free

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:38:11 -0700

Who is going to read this, when it includes "The push for digital TV
originated with broadcasters as a quest for a marketing edge-a way to endow
over-the-air offerings with features
like multicasting and on-demand programming and thus better compete"

Marketing edge?  I thought the marketing types only got involved AFTER the
spec was adopted!

And, silly me, but I clearly remember the day that the NAB moved to start an
advanced television proceeding to counter the land-mobile crowd's desire for
broadcast spectrum.  (Kinda of ironic, with what Congress has been doing in
the last week or so.)  But, that was 1988; the ATSC was founded in 1982, I
tend to think of that as the start, but it wasn't even about digital.

I've been demonstrating a system that will actually air the conditional
access bits that broadcasters will need to effectuate over the air pay TV.
To date, not a single person or entity has expressed the merest desire to
even see CA, let alone use it.  I'm talking to real chief engineers at real
full-service TV stations and real TV networks.  How could I be missing this
important trend?

Sorry, Deborah; this yarn is a non-starter for me.