[opendtv] Re: Digital TV: Brazil to Adopt Anything But the American System

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:53:29 -0600

Ian Mackenzie wrote:
> Doug
>
> Your'e the one who is deluded.

I'm not deluded.

> You have been blowing this trumpet for years and
> the tune is a little old now.
> Why don't you admit that ATSC is the one out of step
> with the rest of the world.

Of course it is out of step. We decided that efficiency trumps
what small amont of added multipath you get with COFDM
at the same bitrate.

We will certainly use COFDM of some sort for mobile-use
TV. It probably won't be DVB-T or DVB-H however. DVB-T was
supposed to be all things to all people. IT WASN'T. And
so they developed DVB-H.

We don't use DAB for mobile radio, for example ...
we use three different systems, all vastly superior to DAB
FOR THEIR PURPOSES.

Doug McDonald