[opendtv] Re: Digital TV: Brazil to Adopt Anything But the American System

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:00:45 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

>John Shutt wrote:
> >>For that matter, are cheap OTA STB's available in the Korean market?
> >

> > Where do you think most of our STBs have been coming from?  Where do you
> > think the companies that Bob Miller has been working with trying to get a
> > prototype that worked as well as the LG 'cold fusion' STB?
>
>Certainly.  But what are Koreans buying for their own market?  Do they
>also have the same problems or are there different cheap Korean-only
>ATSC boxes that work well enough?  Or newer gen boxes that are only sold
>in Korea for instance.
>
>Are Koreans happy with ATSC?
>
>- Tom

Korean broadcasters were never happy with ATSC. Did their own testing
and protested 8-VSB for eight years. I know that two of them contacted
me for a number of years hoping for help in getting their government to
back off 8-VSB. It thought they would just like Taiwan did. The Korean
public? I don't know and don't know how to find out. I have a nephew
working in Seoul. I will send him an email.

Bob Miller