[opendtv] Re: Digital Millenium Copyright Act

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:06:05 +0000

> In short, I think you are misconstruing what is actually going on.

Here is what MAY actually be the case. I say "may." I'm not sure by any means,
but at least this makes sense.

Apple decides to build a limited proprietary box, like say AppleTV. They make
this box incompatible with the content portals the congloms already make
available. Then Apple asks the congloms, "Can you guys make content available
to this limited-capability device?"

So then each conglom, or each content store, takes it upon itself to create an
"app" that will allow a special source for that content to be dlivered to this
limited-capability device.

This is what I think is happening. The vendor here is having to ask for special
favors, only because the vendor did not design the box to make use of the
standards-based content already out there. Had the vendor not taken this tack,
the problem would not exist.