[opendtv] Digital Car Radios, No Premium

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 09:22:39 -0700

Craig wrote:

"HD radio is available if you want to pay the premium"

There really isn't a premium for HD Radio.  Tuners with comparable features
are about the same with or without the HD tuner.  However, one does need to
know what to specify.  There are lots of HD "ready" radios which cost about
$100 more to get the add on package which is just under the price I paid
for my new car radio/digital media player with the HD tuner already there.

There are plenty that have the tuner already installed and, believe it or
not, cheaper than the "ready" ones.  But are people really looking for the
HD?  I agree with Craig that the iPod feature is much more desirable by the
masses.  I picked up an HD radio with iPod port for $140 and it sounds
great.  But in reality, I didn't really buy it to get iPod or HD; my OEM CD
player died and I needed one to listen to my CDs.  I got a CD player, HD
Radio, Aux In, Aux Out, Satellite "ready" (but I don't subscribe), USB
reader and iPod connector with tagging for nearly the same price as one
without several of those features missing.  And I didn't even buy a cheap
Chinese brand; it was a Sony.

Dan