[opendtv] Re: Digital Better Than Analog?

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:37:32 -0400

Albert Manfredi wrote:
Dan Grimes wrote:

Is the quality of digital cable better than analog?
No, it is NOT, especially when the program fades up from black or down to black, [more graininess than the sand at the beach] or when a camera pans the crowd at a football or basketball game, [the blockies] or shoots a long shot across the ice of a hocky game [more visible gradations than a topo map]. Digital TV is great for slide shows, but how many of those are currently featured as normal broadcast fare?

Of course it's still better than _OTA_ digital TV which breaks up, freezes, drops out, turns green and purple, or just goes to the 'Loss of Signal or Signal Not Available' screen for 10 minutes at a time, in addition to
all the problems mentioned above.

Pardon my disparaging remarks about the current state of affairs, but I worked in broadcasting when quality all the way to the viewer's home really mattered. Now it's all OK as long as the antenna is radiating bits.
"The problem's leaving here OK." Where have I heard that before?