[opendtv] Re: Digital Better Than Analog?

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:06:51 -0700

Haven't you done the math?  Didn't I hint in my 20 mb/sec comment?

One ATSC transport stream is 20 mb/sec.  FIOS service is 45 mb/sec.

Let's say that a tv channel only uses 1/5 of the transport stream.  So, 4
mb/sec for a program stream.

So, you can send 11 simultaneous program streams into a FIOS home with 45
mb/sec service, assuming that you're not doing any Internet over the
connection.

Note: in NO WAY is a 4 mb/sec program stream a HDTV program stream.

What's wrong with this calculation?

John Willkie

  _____