[opendtv] Digital Better Than Analog?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:42:02 -0700

"If they were not made to transmit the broadcasters' digital signal, do
they really expect their paying customers, ever more equipped with DTVs, to
be satisfied with the analog
signal?"  -Bert

Is the quality of digital cable better than analog?

Last time I saw digital cable, the quality was worse than a program
recorded on a bad VHS tape in Extended Play (the slowest speed).  This was
the case for a Time-Warner digital cable saw I saw weeks ago (ironically on
an HD set).  Cox Cable here in Las Vegas is a little better than the
Time-Warner service I consumed in a small city in California, but still not
the quality Cox's analog service.

However, if referring to HD Digital Cable, perhaps digital is better (I
have not watched much of that so I will not speak to it--I've only watch
OTA HD products for long enough to judge overall quality).

I think analog SD on Cable is better than most digital SD products on
Cable.  But I have only watched a few digital Cable products so perhaps I
am wrong.

So will all those customers with DTVs push for an all digital cable system?
Perhaps, but I suggest that it would not be because of picture quality.

Dan Grimes