[opendtv] Re: Digital Ad Spending Expected to Soon Surpass TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 09:00:35 -0500

On Dec 7, 2015, at 9:47 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Show me where you think the NYT article says this, Craig.

I did that yesterday.

All it says is that advertising for TV, while still on the rise, is being
overtaken by other video ads. Hardly surprising, in the smartphone era, even
though we already know that smartphone sales have flattened. So like all
growth curves, these are S curves.

It says that ALL advertising is still growing. Even linear TV advertising is
growing slightly, driven by political ads and major vents like the Olympics.
But it also says that they cannot increase ad rates for the linear networks
anymore, and that they make less from the ads in the shows delivered via the
Internet.

The article says nothing of the sort. You simply have to resist the urge of
thinking that articles parrot your own opinions, Craig. They do not.

You are correct. This article did not say that - I did. But many other articles
are saying what I said. Advertisers are looking for live audiences and sports
and a handful of events are all hat's left other than news, which is driven
primarily by the 24/7 news channels, not the broad at networks. Thea's a reason
Fox New Channel is the #1 rated " cable network" on an annualized basis.

And here again, I don't even know exactly what they count as "TV ads." Do
they count ads inserted at OTT sites? Or are they only counting ads inserted
the old-fashioned way? I don't know. From past experience on just this sort
of ambiguity, Craig's assumptions have proven quite off base.

The article was quite explicit. The first paragraph:

Television has lost its longtime grip on advertising budgets as digital ad
spending continues to surge, according to some of the advertising industry’s
most closely watched forecasts to be released on Monday.

Television = Live linear
Digital = anything delivered via the Internet, including ads inserted in TV
shows.