[opendtv] Re: Differing interpretations of the same data

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 23:09:53 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You can get a deal similar to the AT&T package from any MVPD -
> essentially basic/lifeline and HBO.

These are new packages, Craig, resulting from the erosion of "the bundle."
That's why they make the news. And once again, $40/mo is a lot more than $8/mo,
Craig. So HBO sold as an MVPD tier is still a lot more expensive than it would
be if sold direct to consumer. The extra cost to consumers, to get HBO, do HBO
no good.

> This is why it is so difficult to analyze changes to business models.
> The model may indicate that if you cut prices demand will increase
> and you will make more money - good ole capitalism at work. But the
> model may assume more people will buy than actually exist at any
> price point.

I think you're missing the biggest part of this. These direct to consumer
models are of interest to content owners who see people dropping their bundle,
or their tier, because of the demands of other competing channels. It's not as
simple as lowering the price to get more customers. For the content owner, it's
liberating oneself of impediments to their own success.

> That's like saying that it is expensive for Netflix to keep track
> of 50,000 programs.

IMO, I'm again merely stating the obvious. To use your analogy, I am saying
that it is simpler and administratively cheaper for Netflix to charge a single
monthly fee to subscribers, than it would be for Netflix to charge either a
different price for every movie you watch, or to charge for multiple different
monthly subscription types. We already went over the historical reasons why
bundling was technically desirable, in the days of analog cable.

Yes, digital systems use computers, and computers have to be programmed, and
the programs have to be maintained. These are recurring costs. It's never free
to create an administratively complex scheme, Craig, even in the computer era.

> Let's just get the facts straight - the money collected as subscriber
> fees goes to the content congloms.

And to the MVPDs, as markup. It's really simple. The MVPDs rake in more
revenues, for themselves, from subscribers getting extended basic plus all the
premium tiers, than they take in from the guy wanting only lifeline service. So
I'm not as coy as you seem to be about what a subscription fee does. And it
should be no surprise that basic-basic lifeline service is never advertised.

>> The simple fact continues to be that if a monopolistic pipe can
>> charge for a lot of unrequested channels, which they can do when
>> they are monopolies and independent, competitive OTT sites do
>> not exist, that monopolistic pipe will rake in more money.
>
> Exactly. Which is why they will not change the business model.

Aaaaargh!! Craig! You're hopelessly stuck in 1980! We aren't there anymore! The
MVPDs do NOT have that luxury anymore! They are NOT the sole distribution pipe
for TV content anymore. At least, NOT AS LONG AS their ISP role remains neutral.

> So the content congloms are getting the lion's share of the money I
> send to Netflix each month.

And rightfully so. That was never being debated. What is being debated here is
how the congloms can get their revenues most efficiently, i.e. without adding
in the costs of now-unnecessary middlemen. How do you keep missing this?