[opendtv] Re: Device Lets You Watch Shows on a Home TV, TiVo From Elsewhere

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 08:49:54 -0700

The slingbox is just an analog video encoder with IP output of a single
stream and playlist, and a client that connects to the server to grab
said playlist. Oh and uPnP support which is terribly broken to start off
with.

LEts consider using VLC on your existing PC or some old junker PC that
you were going to toss in the trash anyway (or mencoder etc):

a. It is free (duh)
b. I can use H.264
c. I can transcode
d. I can play off disk or live from a DVD, DVB stream, ATSC card or
other digital stream without decimating the content multiple times
e. serve it using HTTP, RTSP, UDP, MMS or any protocol I want
f. serve it in multiple bitrates and protocols simultaneously
g. wrap it in SSH or TLS for encryption
h. I can stream the entire ATSC transport stream over IP
i. I can stream a tivo program without reencoding or transcoding it
j. stream it and record it to disk simultaneously
k. remote control it over the web
l. ...I'll stop here?

Funny that your friend's 'appliance' is $4500. Is that a typo? You can
build one with parts from a local Frys for $450.

Analog PCI boards can be had for $14. VLC is free. Why would you spend
almost 300 bucks putting together something that does less? Unless you
consider the idiot factor, that is.

Cheers
Kon