[opendtv] Re: Destruction of the OTA Broadcast Franchise

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:09:03 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The need for HD was viewed as a way to permanently tie up the
> spectrum using an analog augmentation scheme.

I find it hard to believe that those in the TV business didn't know, by
the 1980s, that TV images had to improve drastically from their
unbelievably primitive state. Honestly, if TV professionals didn't
intrinsically understand that larger displays were going to be demanded
soon, and that the analog TV standards were woefully inadequate *even*
for the display sizes common then, I would be more than surpised. I'd be
appalled.

So even if broadcasters wanted to retain the spectrum they still had, my
hope is that the other issue, ending the antedeluvian and poor TV image
quality, was not lost on them as you say it was.

> I saw a story today that the Obama administration is not likely
> to re-introduce the Fairness Doctrine - it might muzzle everyone,
> not just talk radio. Instead, the FCC may place very significant
> localism demands on all broadcasters. This would serve two
> purposes:
>
> 1. To reduce or eliminate a significant portion of national
> content from the networks and syndicators. 2. To make the
> business unattractive from a profitability viewpoint, making it
> easier to reclaim the spectrum.

At last, you say it like it is.

Now, if only lobbyists could put it in such stark terms when talking to
the politicos, never mind to the left-leaning among FCC commissioners,
maybe we'd see an end to all the BS "motherhood" about the wonders of
localism.

Who knows. Maybe "localism" will be to TV what "biofuels" have become to
the greens. An old mantra that has become almost taboo among the polite
cocktail party set.