[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:25:02 -0500

At 3:54 PM -0500 11/19/06, Albert Manfredi wrote:
flyback1 wrote:

You just said:

"You have described the realities of analog vs digital radio reception. With A-VSB,
or even just E-VSB, this problem would be resolved, for those emergency
situations".

??? What did you mean then?

I meant that in cases where extra robustness might be required, e.g. for your tornado warnings, the E-VSB or A-VSB versions of 8-VSB could add in a more robust program stream. So that aspect of your complaint about ATSC would at least be mitigated.

Cool. Then all the people who have receivers like Bert, would not be able to receive the emergency notifications. With a little "luck" and Bush's "weather machine, " we could selectively eliminate all of ATSC boxes that are NOT A-VSB capable...

;-)

I think in both our cases, ATSC is considerably better than NTSC for distant reception for sure.

We've been down this path before Bert. The design of the U.S. OTA television system is "MARKET ORIENTED." The ability to receive stations from adjacent markets is a "fault condition," based in reality that big sticks and high power levels interfere with adjacent markets. It is this interference that causes more than half of the the spectrum assigned to OTA TV broadcasts to lie fallow. Now the broadcasters are concerned about "white space" interference from very low power devices, so they do not want anyone to use the DTV spectrum lest they lose one of those precious OTA only viewers...

Yeah right!

The reality is that they do not want Free TV. As long as the OTA service is crippled, and the spectrum cannot be used to deliver a competitive multichannel service, broadcasters will happily collect subscriber fees from the 85% who are willing to pay.