[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:00:47 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

>> Until we find out precisely what it is that keeps innovative
>> solutions away from the DTT market in the US, any speculation
>> about DVB-T in the US is idle talk.
>
> That seems like an easy one to answer: cost.

That *would* appear to be a decent guess. But I don't think that's it.
Because, in fact, the cost of these newer solutions is lower than the
cost of the 3rd gen products we've been offered for so many years. Even
the FCC pointed this out. The "latest and greatest," they reported, do
not cost more. Cost is not associated with performance. The newer
designs cost less, because they are much more highly integrated.

> The FCC's latest video-competition report (with data as of
> June 2005) showed 86% of U.S. TV households connected to cable,
> satellite, or some other non-broadcast provider of TV
> programming, with the number increasing all the time.
>
> So why should a TV-set manufacturer spend money on a shrinking
> market that has not shown any desire to pay for
> advanced-reception technology?

Because they have the mandate regardless, and the newer chips cost less.
So what's so hard about using the same solutions in STBs? And by the
way, I've never seen any evidence that the market is shrinking, in the 6
years I've heard this repeated.

Instead, my guess is different. My guess is that CE vendors see no great
and growing market for STBs, simply because they see no attempt from
broadcasters to promote their product. Besides which, CE manufacturers
would also much rather sell an entire new TV than an STB.

Mind you, if broadcasters promoted their multicasts, in addition to
HDTV, the market for STBs might grow a lot. People would opt for an STB
to use with older sets, if there were desirable programming not
available otherwise. However broadcasters see no reason to promote their
product because they live in fear of losing their cable carriage.

Stale mate.

And again, please anyone show me where DVB-T would change anything here.
I think my guesses are more accurate than any others, but they are still
just guesses. Until we know, any purported answer to this dilemma is not
very credible.

For example, *just* an example, if there really were a conspiracy to
kill DTT, then any further cost cutting or improvements in performance
would not fix anything. That's used to illustrate that real answers are
needed here, not just idle speculation.