[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 17:11:39 -0500

flyback1 wrote:

Who cares about the numbers? They only matter if you are talking about
how much better a new system is than an older one. That is just not the
case.

How did we lose sight of the importance of the fact that the new system
does not work as well as what it is replacing?

Confound it, Cliff. I figured it was you. Why did you find it necessary to forget to mention that you receive all the Baltimore channels, 52 miles distant, with your antenna pointing precisely opposite from Baltimore?

Why did you find it necessary to forget to mention that there is a hill close to you, between you and Phildelphia, which is far taller than your one-story house?

The numbers matter because they EXPLAIN what is going on, rather than just going for the senseless drama. In your case, what would you use for dramatic effect if we spent another X years of transition to go to DVB-T, only for you to find out that you can't even receive Baltimore anymore? This is most liklely what *would* happen in your case. THAT's why numbers matter.

So, you have seen these new systems work, you have had your hands on
them and know for a fact that they work everywhere under all conditions?

I never made any such statement, so why waste the bandwidth?

Or at least you know for a fact they work everywhere with the reliability
of NTSC?

Tell me where the signals are coming from and where the receivers are.

Mixed bag, I've said this many times, and this holds for all DTT schemes out there. Analog degrades gracefully, digital does not, end of story.