[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:21:06 -0500

flyback1 wrote:

Who cares about 'ghost images, snow, noise on the screen, or other such
analog artifacts' when you are trying to get information about a tornado
warning?

Sheesh. Can we please avoid the drama queen attitude? Go back to the original post and see what the question was. The poster had gotten bum dope, and you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about while completely changing the subject. Nice rhetorical technique.

ATSC is being transmitted at much lower power than NTSC. If you claim to live between Baltimore and Phildelphia, in the interest of explaining what's going on (rather than just going for dramatic flair), you might disclose that the Batlimore and Philadelphia transmitters are about 90 miles apart (that's 145 Km apart), as the crow flies.

The ATSC transmitters in question are sometimes no more powerful than Euro ones, about 50 KW ERP, and yet they are operating at 3.3 b/s/Hz, not 1.8 b/s/Hz.

Feel free to research European DTT networks and show me where continuous coverage is ever excpected without one or often two DTT translator towers between transmitter sites as far apart as these.

It's possible that you live in the fringe of both Philadelphia and Baltimore. Go to the FCC site and check the power and antenna height of the stations you're getting marginally. That might explain what's going on. This is the site:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

With NTSC, even a weak snowy signal with noise in the audio still allows
you to get the emergency information.

Not so with the digital dropouts of ATSC.

Very good. You have described the realities of analog vs digital radio reception. With A-VSB, or even just E-VSB, this problem would be resolved, for those emergency situations.

Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends list. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mk