[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:41:49 -0500

flyback1 wrote:

I am sure I have seen it written on this list more than a few times that
ATSC would replicate NTSC coverage

This is silly. The goal has always been to substantially replicate NTSC coverage, but that means that ATSC will sometimes exceed and sometimes not match NTSC. It's digital, for heavens sake, so it won't be identical.

As I have stated many times, in my case, NTSC coverage is exceeded by ATSC far more than the other way around, and that's with the same antennas as I used for NTSC, and only 3rd gen receivers. There are some channels that are still iffy, and the reason is usually easy to explain. One big problem: an ATSC channel immediately adjacent to a much higher powered NTSC channel. E.g. 2.6 MW ERP NTSC next to 75 KW ERP ATSC. Hopefully, newer receivers will do a better job, and after NTSC shutoff that problem should vanish.

If you read accounts of DTT users elsewhere in the world, and surely this is easy to do for anyone, you will see similar scenrios played out with other DTT standards. It's infiniitely more helpful to describe reception problems and try to figure out reasons than to go for the high drama.

As to the "all or nothing reception" comments, okay, so it's not quite "all or nothing." There is a steep digital ciff involved, where you get audio and image dropouts. But your never see ghost images, snow, noise on the screen, or other such analog artifacts.