[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:35:39 +1200

Quite right Bert,

I haven't asked John why he has not tried more than a second generation ATSC
receiver so here goes.

John - why haven't you?

And to the others who have, has it made a significant difference?

Can you now cruise along with perfecto reception of ATSC in a built up area?

Does the latest ATSC receiver still work until you shut it in a transmitter
cabinet? (Joke)

Yes, I understand there has been improvement. Time will tell and not much of
that left.

Regards
Barry

On 6/25/07, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Barry Wilkins wrote:

> I did find it odd that you did not want to see the
> "infamous" Bob Millar mobile COFDM demo. I reflect
> on this in a comparative way.

I find it really nuts that this is being made into some sort of issue.

More to the point, did you ask John Shutt whether he has yet tried
anything more recent than a 2nd gen ATSC receiver, on which to base his
comments on 8-VSB reception?

And if he did, when he did?

As technically obsolete as my 3rd gen Accurian and Digital Stream boxes
are, and already were in 2005, they were very straightforward to set up
and get working. With indoor or outdoor antennas. If you read the
comments of other people who bought them, they were better than any of
the STB competition, when they were first introduced.