[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:10:08 -0400

Barry Wilkins wrote:

Historically, the US ATSC 8-VSB rather than COFDM choice will
be for all time of great technical significance. Why? Because it
is one of the few recent occasions in the development of
electronic engineering that I can recall that a decision was
made to knowingly employ a technically inferior technique
when it was known that the benefits of the alternative
choice were overwhelming.

The purported reason for sticking with 8T-VSB, a decision made by the FCC in 2001, was that improvements were right around the corner, and they liked the advanatges of 8-VSB (such as greater range and lower peak-to-average ratio). And the NAB was instrumental in convincing them.

So in theory at least, the decision was not made knowing that there were overwhelming reasons to make a different choice.

But most people on this site seem convinced that all the half-truths and all the lies were on the ATSC corner of the ring. Is this true? I'm not in the broadcast community so what do I know? I haven't dealt with the personalities involved. Are some more obnoxious than others? Probably so. Does that color people's perceptions? Almost certainly.

However, I have seen enough to know that there has been a liberal amount of obfuscation and half-truths and (perhaps unintentional) lies coming out of both sides.

As a user of DTT in the US, all I want is for the stalemate to end.