[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:36:26 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

The POINT!!! IS!!! that they are NOT proposing this
in COFDM countries,

The POINT IS!!, this has nothing to do with COFDM. Cause --> effect.

they are proposing it in the US of A because Congress,
the FCC and EVEN MOST BROADCASTERS show little
interest in OTA DTV.

The FCC is the only reason DTT exists here. The broadcasters don't care much (I'm expecting protests from Mark Aitken) for reasons Craig has stated a zillion times. Broadcasters get PAID EXTRA when their stuff runs over cable and DBS. Why would they care about good OTA options?

The Congressmen are probably at least 85 percent TV service subscribers, so chances are only 15 percent care, if that many. And only 15 percent of their constituents care, so those get 15 percent of the attention.

So far, modulation is not a factor.

So how do we fix this? With COFDM? Is that like curing pneumonia with a leg cast, or what?

By the way, if only to put an end to the everlasting excuses, the FCC probably *should* hold another 8T-VSB vs COFDM (64-QAM, 3/4 FEC, 1/16 GI) faceoff. Simply because without that, we keep having to hear how you need a robust RF physical layer first. The unstated assumption, of course, being we still don't have that.

If you want, you can test A-VSB vs DVB-H as well, even though Euro broadcasters are not using their DVB-T multiplexes for DVB-H streams.

So let's test it again, if only to put an end to this monotonous refrain.