[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:14:13 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Are 5th Generation 8-VSB receivers as good as today's COFDM
> receivers? Let's not even find out.

No, *let's* find out. Although that's a more difficult proposition than
just revisiting the Sinclair sites with a 5th gen USB receiver or two.

5th gen LG receivers were tested at the CRC in September of 2003. And
many of the newest COFDM receivers have gone for low cost rather than
higher performance. Mostly, going to single conversion tuners or no IF
tuners.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/view_press_release.cfm/release_id/1318

So it's not clear to me that the test would be all that "unfair." And
the 6th gen LG was announced at NAB, I thought, so that might be another
promising test. Dynamic echo tolerance of the 5th gen LG was not all
that great. Or, if anyone can find any box with the Samsung Gemini chip
in it.

The only way I can see for broadcasters to get beyond this modulation
issue, IMO, is to show that it is no longer an issue. If indeed it
isn't. Makes little sense, IMO, to let it fester, as it evidently has
been doing continuously since 1999.