[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: John Golitsis <jgolitsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:44:40 -0400

I was really talking about YOUR business "horse" which hasn't the nerve to leave the paddock!

It's easy to sit back, watch the world go by, and say you wanted to do this, or you would have done that. Do SOMETHING, succeed or fail, and then tell us what's right and what's wrong with some degree of credibility.

On 28-Jun-07, at 12:11 PM, Bob Miller wrote:

If the horses are 8-VSB, MPEG2, and Interlace running against COFDM
based modulations, MPEG4 or the latest from ON2 and progressive what
can I say? It seems pretty obvious to me.

Some races are fixed. Sometimes the best horse isn't allowed to run.

But this is hardly a race. My arguments have always been that 8-VSB,
MPEG2 and interlace should never have been used at all. They will all
go away it is just at what cost in time and money.

In 1999 I proposed that ON2's product be used with a generic chip to
allow upgrades and that the US should allow a COFDM based modulation,
DVB-T. And I was a fan of progressive over interlaced.

I think history will show that those were the way to go and that the
path the US took only led to delay and waste. I don't think free OTA
DTV will long survive after the transition with 8-VSB.

It may come after it is realized that most receivers are now, say 7-8
years, capable of receiving both advanced COFDM modulations and 8-VSB
so that broadcasters will be allowed to use either. In the meantime
OTA DTV will languish in the sub 5% of households region.

Bob Miller

On 6/28/07, John Golitsis <jgolitsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Horses race for money.  Are you sure your horses are doing all right?