[opendtv] Re: Deloitte Puts Reality Check on SVOD | Home Media Magazine

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 09:40:06 -0500

> On Jan 16, 2015, at 6:35 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Bah. The simple fact is, in spite of what the report vaguely states, that
> online TV has already caused a drop in MVPD subscriptions, and in MVPD
> extended bundle subscriptions. So they can say all they want that SVOD is
> complementary, but the tea leaves are showing an ongoing transition.

Vaguely?

> Through 2018, SVOD is projected to generate $15.6 billion in revenue
> globally, of which $2 billion in revenue will be from Europe. These tallies
> amount to just 4% of all worldwide pay-TV revenue, and 2.5% of European
> pay-TV revenue.

These are real numbers Bert, not some vague projection. Clearly there are
transitions taking place - over time the distribution of the entertainment
revenue pie will shift. As I have pointed out before, however, these shifts
take time, and trends may look impressive, until one looks at the big picture -
4% is a small number.

> It's possible that adequate broadband is not yet available to many
> households, although the article hardly tells us if this is so and how much
> the deficit might be. It states, "Specifically, Deloitte said with many rural
> European homes a significant distance from telephone exchanges, the 5
> megabytes required for high-definition streaming are often lacking."

> Five megabytes? How does that describe a link? And is there some implication
> here that you can't stream TV content unless in legitimately HD quality?

A poor choice of words, if not an outright error - I suspect they meant 5 Mbps.
Sure, SDTV requires less, but we are also being told that HDTV is about to
transition to UHDTV with 4K displays. The reality is that much of the world is
not ready to replace MVPDs and broadcasters with OTT services.

> For telcos that intend to retain their voice grade twisted pairs to homes,
> we've seen that 1 Gb/s xDSL is currently being developed. This is what
> matters. Not the status quo of last month or last year.

More vague predictions...

The reality is that Cox Cable is DELIVERING up to 50 Mbps to my home, while
AT&T is delivering letters to my home with special deals for 4-6 Mbps service.
Sometimes I get 30 - 40 Mbps from Cox, sometimes not. A few minutes ago it was
less than 3 Mbps, then it jumped to 9 Mbps.

We still have a long way to go.