[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "Donald Mccroskey" <mccroskey2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 00:34:27 -0800

The AT&T microwave system which reached the west coast in the summer of 1951
was not the problem.  It was RF all the way, demodulated to video only to
feed the network stations.  The local video loops to/from the network master
controls in New York, Chicago, Washington, D. C., and Los Angeles were of
variable quality and detectable to noticeable ringing and smearing were
always present to some degree. The worst situations were news broadcast
which originated in New York, in and out of Washington, D. C., back to New
York, in and out of Chicago, in and out of Los Angeles to west coast
affiliates.  That would be 9 local video loops in cascade.  A sports or
special events program would add at least 2 more paths.  I was the ABC west
coast transmission engineer from 1957 to 1960 and dealt with network
transmission problems reported by the Pacific coast stations.  The passive
equalizers at the TV stations were adjusted to give near flat frequency
response to 4 MHz with a sharp cut-off.  Ringing was the inevitable result.
Occasionally I would talk the Telco craftsman to equalize to give a more
gentle roll-off.  2 dB down at 4 MHz with reduced ringing was a good
trade-off to me.  But multiplying this times 9 (as in the above example
could not be allowed.  Add kinescope recording and playback through
iconoscope film cameras to this chain, and you really had problems.