[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:50:28 -0800

Mark S. wrote:
Television Digest reported decades ago (in the black-&-white days) about
> an American television delegation that went to the UK in its 405-line,
> 3-MHz-video-bandwidth days and found the pictures superior to those in
> the U.S.  There was much discussion about why.

I lived in England for a number of years during the 1950s and remember the
early 405 system well. Other than being able to count the scan lines from
across the room the image quality was good. I tend to agree with Al Limberg
regarding the careful production but also suggest that the excellent plant
and distribution engineering, under control of the BBC, resulted in
consistent high quality throughout the network.

That was not the case in the U.S. where the networks generally delivered a
very good product to the AT&T distribution system in New York. However,
after distribution for thousands of miles through hundreds (thousands?) of
amplifiers, the quality deteriorated significantly. Then add the many
independently owned Network affiliated transmission and microwave systems
around the country, often not maintained to network standards, and the end
result was often marginal at best.

Dale