[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:30:22 -0800

John W. wrote:

> Well, we DO have a working modulation scheme, which replicates NTSC,
>which was never an optimal way of transmitting analog video.
>PAL was subsequently developed and was ALWAYS better than NTSC,
>using a simple technique that reversed by 180 degrees alternate lines.
>An elegant improvement over NTSC.

Our eyes clearly do not deceive us; when visiting Europe we do see an
obviously superior analog television picture. However, PAL is not the source
of this superiority. The reality is that PAL actually somewhat degrades the
overall image quality and the problem it was designed to resolve (Color TV
set Hue inconsistencies) was resolved by TV set manufacturers over twenty
years ago .

The source of this superior "PAL" picture is actually the additional 25%
bandwidth allocated to that signal and an additional 100 vertical scan lines
used per frame. If Europe were today transmitting NTSC with those same
parameters we would see at least as good a picture as we do with PAL.