[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:35:30 -0500

Craig wrote:

> I do not want to kill FOTA in the U.S.
>
> I want to kill must carry/retransmission consent and use the spectrum
> efficiently to deliver a FOTA multi-channel service (and many
> additional services).

Maybe I misunderstood this previous comment of yours, then:

> Broadcasters do not need to be competitive with cable and DBS because
> they rely on cable and DBS to reach their viewers, and get paid extra
> for reaching their viewers in this manner.
>
> Everyone wins, except for Bert (and the rest of the laggards), who
> choose not to pay extra for TV.

Sounded like you were advocating that everyone go to cable, because
somehow or other they would "win."

In any event, you have already seen where, when push comes to shove,
countries not now using 64-QAM COFDM are trying to crank their spectral
efficiency up to that level. "Efficient" use of spectrum requires that.
So, we're already there, Craig, at 3.3 b/s/Hz. That's the first step.

I do agree with you, though, that what is keeping OTA TV from doing well
here is something structural. You can't expect broadcasters to want to
build a competitive OTA system if the rules they are living by
discourage such a thing. I agree with that general concept.