[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:12:05 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> If we had a working modulation today, that is worked
> mobile and fixed like the better COFDM based modulations,
> we would also have today that 30 channel OTA offering and
> more.

We can achieve that and much more already, and with easier reception in
many cases than Europeans have. The problem there is power restrictions.
But as Craig already pointed out, broadcasters here prefer to depend on
cable and DBS carriage. In Gainesville, they opted not to install
translators. The closest NBC affiliate is 80 miles away.

> We would have a number of new innovative OTA services
> like the IP based datacasting service we proposed in early
> 1998.

Is that successful in any successful DVB-T market? (Not to say it
couldn't be done. And by the way I read in TPV that Moviebeam is
shifting to ATSC. And A-VSB is now available for robust streams.)

> We and others would be delivering non real time content to
> storage devices in your TV set, your cell phone and
> probably your Ipod.

I always get non-real-time ATSC content delivered to my TV set, Bob, but
Craig says broadcasters don't want to do it this way. They want me on
cable.

On non-real-time: *Any* content you record is consumed non-real-time. It
can be transmitted at any speed you want, slower or faster than real
time, or real time, to a storage device. The faster you stream it, the
more bandwidth it takes, so there's no free lunch.

> Much of the content would be free.

No it wouldn't. Ask Craig. He'll tell you.