[opendtv] Re: Definition of Greed

  • From: "Russ Wood" <russ.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 10:07:58 +0100

Patents or Letters Patent were devised to allow inventors to disclose
their invention for the benefit of all but to have a period (20 years)
in which to get income on a reasonable basis during the life of the
patent.

Inventors would often keep their methods a closely-held secret which may
have died with them, the other alternative was an early form of
industrial espionage as rivals attempted to find out the secret.

Patents allow everybody to benefit, the inventor in the short term, the
public in the short and long term - and also because of the publishing
of the patent in such a way that the method and invention could be
replicated allowed other inventors the scope to improve the invention
from an earlier stage.

The inventor did not have to patent an invention, it could be kept a
secret - but there was always the risk that somebody else would
independently discover the idea - then the original inventor had no
protection.

So - not necessarily greed, more a balance of high income for an
uncertain time versus lower income with better protection.

Russ Wood