[opendtv] Re: Definition of Greed

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 20:57:21 -0700

The desire for wealth isn't a major driver in innovation?

Dan;

And, having savings isn't 'exceeding' one's costs?

Isn't an "inventor" one who possesses or seeks to posses a patent?  Isn't
that a deed that permits one to extract "monopoly rents?"

I don't like the word greed.  I blanched when I read - and saw, in the movie
"Wall Street" the "greed is good" quote (transmogrified from the original).

However, I am not completely opposed to the writings of Ayn Rand.  She laid
it bare.

The context was that "GM is greedy" and engages in a "conflict of" (an
unstated) "interest." by having an open interest in XM.

Since savings or retirement, or loose change, exceeds one's needs, it is
"excessive."  I am opposed to "from each according to his abilities (or lack
of same) and to each according to his needs."

I am in favor of free markets and free people.  It tends to limit the
excesses.

John Willkie

  _____