[opendtv] Re: Definition of Broadcast

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 19:06:51 -0400

On Jul 8, 2015, at 10:10 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Daniel Grimes wrote:

The *potential* for the signal to be received defines the fact that
is broadcast. Perhaps we can define it as a service that is
"non-discriminating" rather than it's physical makeup?

I think the problem will continue to occur, if this non-technical term is
used interchangeably with the technical definition of broadcast protocol.
Otherwise, "non-discriminating" makes sense to me.

I think Daniel was right that we need to update the meaning once again. There
are plenty of non-discriminating services on the Internet that clearly are not
broadcast services - Hulu for example.

The original term came from a grain planting technique - to cast broadly.

Some people simply think of it as one-to-many.

So the intent to allow anyone to connect to the service is certainly one factor.

Requiring a subscription fee could invalidate the use of the term broadcast,
but MovieBeam, a fee based movie delivery service was delivered via PBS TV
stations.

We could also try to say it is a linear channel. Fixed time slots when
programs are delivered, I.e. Appointment based.

One thing is clear - it is now possible to reach audiences that are
geographically distributed around the planet simultaneously with the same
content - I.e. A global shared experience.

Back when, it made a lot of sense. It was a lot simpler to adopt the
technical delivery mode term to mean the service, than it would have been to
say "linear one-to-all audio radio or TV service." Quicker to say "broadcast
radio" or "broadcast TV," and it was also correct technically.

Things got murkier with walled garden distribution nets. And close to
hopeless with Internet distribution.

Not really much difference. MVPDs grew by offering more linear channels. The
Internet is capable of doing the same.

But it also allows most of the content delivered by hundreds of linear channels
to be viewed on demand. So we are migrating to a world with broadcast and
unicast delivery of content.