[opendtv] Re: Defining Visions: They've Done It To Us Again. . .???!!!

  • From: John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:13:12 -0400

On 23-Aug-05, at 12:01 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

> Still, I think this violates the FCC's intent, when they
> very deliberately left the "analog hole" open.

That was very specifically for cable, and it was a deal that was
hatched between the CEA and the cable folks, then blessed by the FCC
who had threatened to come up with their own plan if they did not.
It does not in any way apply to anything other than cable (and
satellite???) TV.

> This actually makes a good case for building 8-VSB
> modulators in DVD players. HD-DVD or BlueRay players
> could provide an 8-VSB output, which automatically sets
> the broadcast flag when HD material is being played back.

But there is no broadcast flag, really.  And even if there was, it's
job was to regulate re-transmission and not recording.

> This will allow playback in all tuner-mandated monitors
> and will not become obsolete when someone decides it's
> time to change HDCP.

HD-DVD players could have come equipped with a brand new "D-RCA"
connector that required a display so-equipped, and who could stop
them if it did?  What right does the FCC have to mandate such a
thing?  Did they "bless" the DVI interface before it showed up on
devices?  Did they "bless" HDCP?  Did they "bless" HDMI?

> Obviously, just as older DVI interface are no longer
> useful, the same will soon happen with DVI/HDCP or HDMI.

Perhaps so, but such is the way in the CE business.  I have a
turntable, but no "phono" inputs on my receiver.  Where's the
regulation for that?