[opendtv] Datapoint: KNSD Spots 12/1/2004 21:50 - 23:00

  • From: johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 23:36:44 -0800 (PST)

To check the reality of my challenged observation as to the price of items
advertised on TV, while watching the latter part of the West Wing tonight,
I decided to log the spots during the conclusion of that program and Law &
Order.

I just lost the previously composed message where I delineated the spots
and promos, and I'm not going to repeat it now, although I'll keep my
notes.

I counted 36 ads.  None were for prescription drugs; about 20% were for
new cars.

Possibly two spots were for items that you could (purchase or use for a
year) and possibly have change from a 10-spot: Afrin "No drip" and scotch
brand tape.  Three were for items that cost between 10 and 11 dollars:
KFC family pack (9.99 plus sales tax), and "The Aviator" and "Spanglish".
(Admissions for first run movies hereabouts are at least $9.50 before
sales tax.)

I'd say the average price for items advertised was at least $15,000.  Only
one government-agency "First Five California" run by Rob Reiner was seen.