[opendtv] Re: Daily Wireless - Wi-LAN's W-OFDM full mobility

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:17:59 -0400

I'm not sure why this concept periodically bubbles to the
surface again amid media hype.

IEEE 802.16 was originally conceived as a fixed LMDS/MMDS
system, providing a lot of options for link layers and for
media access techniques, and operating in wide 20, 25, or
28 MHz channels in the 10 to 66 GHz bands. The idea was to
make that last mile easier, with a wireless link, up to
134 Mb/s. But the high frequencies make for LOS access
only.

Okay, so they want to show the system can support mobile
users?

It appears they lowered the frequency to the range of
802.11a, if I'm reading this right. Probably in an
effort to make the scheme less touchy.

It appears they are providing 32 Mb/s, meaning the
modulation must be QPSK in a 20 MHz channel. And
therefore 1.6 b/s/Hz spectral efficiency.

So why is this so impressive? If they create a
cellular system out of this, with even coverage,
haven't they just clobbered the spectrum used
by 802.11a in the entire area they want to cover?

Bert