[opendtv] DVD/DVR Hard Disk Recorder

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:56:38 -0800

Well, as some of you know (and for the rest, wouldn't care), I've been a
hold-out on purchasing any new video equipment.  But since my NTIA coupons
expired, I broke down and bought a DVD/DVR (with a hard drive) for
Christmas to myself and my wife which has an ATSC tuner in it.

I could only find one model that had both the ATSC tuner and a hard drive:
the Philips 3576H.  I bought one but the 3575H (an earlier model) was
shipped to me instead.  From what I could tell from my internet research,
the Philips is about the only choice out there (with a hard drive) that is
not tied to an MVPD.  (Well, there is a $1000 one from Panasonic at B&H,
but the price is not reasonable).

If I were to guess why, I would say that most who cared enough about media
to want to record something to watch later are using an MVPD's box or
TiVo.

I could go further on my short experience with the Philips box, but since
this isn't a review sight, I won't bore you.

Dan