[opendtv] Re: DVB-T2 with LTE-Advanced

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 08:33:35 -0400

Thanks for your reply. I'm not certain how to interpret it, other than to say
that LTE-A is "not the solution we are looking for."

As the article that stimulated this thread stated, broadcasters have had no
traction with handset makers in terms of integrating proprietary TV broadcast
chips. Meanwhile the Telcos seem to be moving toward LTE broadcast to leverage
the modems already used in hundreds of millions of devices. And the regulators
seem to be on board with this, seeking to reclaim spectrum from TV
broadcasters, who they seem to think are in a death spiral.

I get the impression that the ATSC once again wants to create another
proprietary standard rather that leveraging "other people's" IP. You say as
much in you post, noting that you have largely abandoned the LTE convergence
path and are working on a new proprietary ATSC standard.

Have I got this right?

Is there a possibility of using the broadcast spectrum as a shared utility that
is layered upon the existing LTE infrastructure, or are we going to see a rerun
for which there is no audience?

On May 6, 2015, at 11:16 PM, Mark Aitken <MAitken@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The requirements to transmit and receive LTE-A from a tall tower are waveform
characteristics that do not reside in any of the existing specifications for
LTE-A. For such a configuration, just to start...there exists no interleave
(LTE-A was designed for ultra-low latency). The CP (cyclic prefix, otherwise
also known as Guard Interval) is much too short. The symbol spacing is
optimized for mobility in the 2-3GHz bands, meaning that at 600MHz it is far
from optimal. The list goes on...

I say this because, to change any/some/all (including the ones I have not
bothered speaking of) requires 3GPP adoption. What do you think the
possibility of that is? I call this whole thing 'circus tricks'. I know this
very well...

By the way, I proposed doing EXACTLY this 4+ years ago at the ATSC Symposium
("Exploring Innovative Opportunities in ATSC Broadcasting: Convergence in the
UHF Band in USA." Mike Simon, Rohde & Schwarz, Columbia, MD, and Mark Aitken,
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Hunt Valley, MD. ATSC Symposium on Next Generation
Broadcast Television, February 15, 2011.) After socializing the concept with
many wireless carrier experts including a staff from AT&T Shannon Labs, and
getting some 'buy in' on the concept, the US Government issued the now
infamous "National Broadband Plan"...interest dried up...

Just saying, not really new, and certainly major market constraints on it
going somewhere...

That is when I became focused on developing a new 'Next Gen' standard...

Mark
The Mark that is glad many of you have hung around!