[opendtv] Re: DVB-T2 with LTE-Advanced

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 23:18:56 -0400

Craig wrote:

I'm not certain how to interpret it, other than to say
that LTE-A is "not the solution we are looking for."

Mark said quite clearly that LTE was not a good solution for big sticks, or for
robust broadcast.

Meanwhile the Telcos seem to be moving toward LTE broadcast to leverage
the modems already used in hundreds of millions of devices. And the
regulators
seem to be on board with this, seeking to reclaim spectrum from TV
broadcasters, who they seem to think are in a death spiral.

Yes, but the best solution for a system that is used primarily for 2-way
unicast is hardly to be expected to be the best solution for people who only
broadcast.

I get the impression that the ATSC once again wants to create another
proprietary standard rather that leveraging "other people's" IP. You say as
much in you post, noting that you have largely abandoned the LTE convergence
path and are working on a new proprietary ATSC standard.

By conflating two orthogonal discussions, you miss the significant points and
you create a nice conspiracy theory. The fact that the broadcasters may select
something that is a proprietary variant of DB+VB-T2 *hardly* contradicts the
point that LTE is not the optimal solution for broadcasting!

Is there a possibility of using the broadcast spectrum as a shared utility
that
is layered upon the existing LTE infrastructure, or are we going to see a
rerun
for which there is no audience?

See what Ron also said, about how carriers disable features in these phones,
Craig. But sure, the cellcos could grab all of the broadcast spectrum, and rent
out space to TV broadcasters, for on demand unicast and occasional broadcast.
That is what LTE was designed to do. Part-time broadcast.